So another year over, and what have we done…
In the published corner:
- ‘Disfigured Myth: The Destruction of London in Postmillennial SF Film’, Foundation, 122 (2015): 122-32.
- ‘Sleeping/Waking: Politicizing the Sublime in Science Fiction Film Special Effects’. Endangering Science Fiction Film. Edited by Sean Redmond and Leon Marvell, New York and London: Routledge, 2016: 117-31.
- ‘Human Subjects/Alien Objects? Abjection and the Constructions of Race and Racism in District 9’, Alien Imaginations: Science Fiction and Tales of Transnationalism. Edited by Ulrike Küchler, Silja Maehl and, Graeme Stout, New York: Bloomsbury, 2015: 95-112.
- ‘Iain M./ Banks’, Twenty-First Century British Writers (Dictionary of Literary Biography). Edited by Tom Ue, Chicago?: Gale, 2015.
Somewhere out there — and I don’t like to talk about work in progress before the ink is dry — are chapters on Adam Roberts, British sf short stories, queer YA sf and perhaps one I forget — editorial work on someone.
I am about to put to bed an article on The Clarke Award and a chapter on a period of sf.
Downsides — the article proposal turned down (but there was some small compensation in that the editor reassured me that I might be able to place it elsewhere, may be in a peer-reviewed venue) and the chapter rejected after much time but short shrift (it may well be crap, but it was not a well-handled project).
To do in 2016:
- I failed to convert one conference paper into a chapter and probably have missed the boat on that book, but it can feed into another commission I have;
- to convert the paper on Quest for Love into a chapter;
- to convert the paper on Mieville I gave at a conference into a chapter (I seem to have fallen off a mailing list there);
- to return to a book that was bounced and needs work;
- to produce a book proposal that I’ve been pondering for too many years;
- to sort out two book proposals for projects that came up some years ago and stalled;
- beer and brewing and drinking research. I need to be priming the pump.
And I need to do some writing on sf film — maybe go back to the Moon paper and the keynote for the CRSF.
Have I missed anything any of you have asked me to do?
Clearly this is too much for a year. We’ll see.