Faculty of Letters, University of Lisbon
CALL FOR PAPERS
Science Fiction and Fantasy objects are a permanent part of today’s cultural industry. From the margins to mainstream culture, their ubiquity demands critical debate beyond the preconception of pop culture made for mass entertainment. The University of Lisbon Centre for English Studies (ULICES) invites you to take part in the 4th International Conference Messengers From the Stars: On Science Fiction and Fantasy to be held at the School for Arts and Humanities, University of Lisbon, November 16-18, 2016. We welcome papers of about 20 minutes (maximum) and also joint proposals for thematic panels consisting of 3 or 4 participants. Postgraduate and undergraduate students are also welcomed to participate.
Topics may include but are not limited to the following:
- Artificial Intelligence
- Comic Books/Graphic Novels
- Fan Fiction/Fandom
- Fantasy and Children’s Literature
- Fantasy and Science Fiction on Screen (Cinema, TV, Web, etc.)
- Fantasy and the Gothic
- Imagination and Fantasy
- Music and Science Fiction
- Place and Non-place
- Science and Fiction
Confirmed keynote speakers:
Andrew M Butler – School of Media, Art and Design (Canterbury, UK)
Katherine Fowkes – High Point University (NC, USA)
Individual papers, as well as thematic panel proposals, should have 250 words maximum and be sent to email@example.com along with a short biographical note (100 words maximum) by May 31, 2016.
Notification of acceptance will be sent by June 30, 2016.
Working Languages: Portuguese and English
Early bird registration: July 1st – September 15th
70 € / Students: 30 €
Late bird registration: September 16th –October 31st
80 € / Students: 40 €
- Only after proof of payment is registration effectively considered.
- Participants are responsible for their own travelling arrangements and accommodation.
- Undergraduate and post-graduate students must send proof of student status with their registration.